The Academy's history goes back to 1920.
It was named after Ignacy Jan Paderewski – an outstanding pianist, a statesman, a great Polish citizen.
It is one of eight academies of music in Poland.
The Academy’s authorities are led by the Rector – Prof. Halina Lorkowska.
The Academy trains students at its five faculties:
- Faculty of Composition, Conducting, Theory of Music and Eurhythmics,
- Faculty of Instruments,
- Faculty of Vocal Studies,
- Faculty of Choral Conducting, Music Education and Church Music,
- Faculty of String Instruments, Harp, Guitar and Violin - Making.
The Academy is the only one in Poland providing studies in the artistic violin-making.
At present the Academy has over 800 students. It employs over 300 academic teachers, including 55 professors.
The curricula offers a variety of study programmes including the specialist music subjects, the humanities, foreign languages classes and physical education.